Obesity has very evident symptoms. Apart from changes of the body shape, a person may experience a set of additional symptoms.
1. The first and the most common symptom is a shortness of breath. There is a rule, if a person cannot climb on the fourth floor without shortness of breath, it is a sign of obesity or overweight. A person may experience shortness of breath during walking at a normal pace. Shortness of breath is also manifested as difficult breathing. A patient with obesity can breathe loudly even when sitting. It looks like a snore, only this time the person is completely awake.
2. A headache is a symptom that also accompanies obesity. This is due to the fact that the required amount of oxygen is not supplied to the brain. As a consequence, a person may even experience dizziness. In order to reduce the headache, the majority of people take pills, but this is not a right treatment of the problem. The first thing a doctor prescribes during frequent headaches is a mandatory reduction of the body weight. Obesity can also harm cervical nerves, blocking blood flow to the brain. A message of the neck can help in this case, but without reducing the weight there won’t be much use of it.
3. Sudden bouts of hunger. Obese people cannot feel hunger in a right way. A sudden attack of hunger may occur immediately after eating. This deceptive feeling is a result of the brain malfunctioning indicating that the body is getting used to replace other needs with a sense of hunger. If such attacks happen, it’s recommended to drink water or juice or eat an apple or any other fruit. If sudden hunger occurs at night, it’s also possible to eat a small portion of low-calorie products.
4. Nausea or heartburn and intestinal disorders. Indigestion is usually accompanied by heartburn. This pain may appear not only after eating fatty food. If the heartburn is a permanent throughout the day, it may cause stomach ulcer. Another side effect of indigestion is diarrhea or constipation. Also, obesity can be accompanied by a permanent abdominal bloating.
5. Cardiovascular system disorders. With the increase in the body mass, the heart must pump more blood. Obese people cannot live long since they exhaust their potential 10-20 years earlier than healthy people. The vessels are often narrowed that causes insufficient blood flow. This can lead to problems with head and limbs. A person may feel dizzy and lose consciousness.
6. Amnesia. This side of the disease is the result of a poor performance of the cardiovascular system. Due to an insufficient blood supply, the brain is lowering its activity. A person may have problems with short-term or long-term memory or experience confused thoughts.
7. Pigmentation of the skin. This phenomenon is especially frequent in children suffering from obesity. Red spots may appear on the skin of the grown-ups. In places where the skin stops breathing, dead skin cells and inflammation usually emerge. Children often have the rash. Red pimples may inflame and turn into a wound. People who have significant excess weight and the little exercise can have bedsores accompanied by a numbness of the skin.
8. Infertility. This symptom is a sign of obesity for both women and men. Female body may stop producing ova. Even a complete failure of the female cycle may happen. As for men, a deterioration of potency is observed. Infertility is not treated in people suffering from obesity. A woman can get pregnant when her body weight normalizes.
9. Nerve disorders. Obesity leads to a decrease in physical activity. This, in turn, causes the decline of mental activity, eventually leading to nervous disorders. A person with excess body weight may be very sluggish, or, conversely, behave very aggressively. Nervous disorders produce a number of psychological problems. All this together is a very serious problem that accompanies people with obesity.
10. The symptoms of other diseases associated with obesity. As already mentioned, obesity can cause many diseases. Moreover, people with obesity endure other illnesses much harder. Complications to the heart, lungs and almost all internal organs may be also caused. People with excessive weight often suffer from varices. Feet may swell, decreasing outflow of fluid from the lower extremities.